Career Counseling Internship
Compass Center is an established non-profit located in Chapel Hill, NC serving more than 5,000 people in the Triangle annually in our various programs. We provide self sufficiency services that include career and financial counseling to diverse clients throughout the triangle area. The career intern will work within the career program of Self-Sufficiency services offered at the Compass Center for Women and Families. This career internship opportunity will provide experience working with diverse clients including survivors of domestic violence. In addition to providing direct career support to clients, the career intern will assist with tasks related to maintaining and supporting the career program and services.
The career intern will work on the following tasks:
● Individual career advising including helping clients put together effective resumes and cover letters, practicing interview skills, learning and utilizing job search techniques, utilizing career assessments, and exploring local resources and career opportunities
● Scheduling clients, filing, and maintaining database entries along with other administrative tasks related to career services and programming
● At designated times, work as a Information and Referral Volunteer (IRV) acting as a first contact to individuals who call or walk in to the Compass Center for Women and Families. The IRV works to establish a welcoming and supportive atmosphere in addition to assisting clients with understanding and accessing the programs and services at the Compass Center for Women and Families.
● Assist in the planning and facilitation of ACCESS career support group for domestic violence survivors
● Create, update, and maintain career program materials including informative handouts, local jobs, and career advising resources
● Serve as a liaison between Compass Center for Women and Families and other community agencies
● Research relevant career resources and referrals available to clients within Orange and surrounding counties
● Develop and facilitate career workshops for women in transition, domestic violence survivors, and underemployed clients
The career counseling internship could be for one semester or full school year in length. The Compass Center for Women and Families is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with some evening weeknights occasionally. Exact days of week and time of day for internship placement are flexible within office hour parameters and can include weekend and evening hours if necessary . The number of internship hours in placement is flexible as well and can accommodate 300 and 600 hour placements.