There is a position open at William Peace University
Assistant Director of Career Services
William Peace University, a vibrant and diverse independent institution in Raleigh, NC, seeks applicants for a full-time Assistant Director of Career Services. The Assistant Director of Career Services supports the mission of the Career Services Department to provide comprehensive career development programming and counseling to first year students through alumnae. The Assistant Director will coordinate the required internship program for the university. She/he will work on a small, results-oriented team to enhance student’s professional growth, employment success and life-long career development. WPU is under the new leadership of Dr. Brian C. Ralph, who assumed office in August, 2015. The institution is in a season of exciting change and will be undertaking a comprehensive strategic planning process in 2016.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Counsel students and alumnae on career issues; administers and interprets career and personality assessments. Assists students to understand their abilities, talents, interests, and personality characteristics in order to develop realistic academic and career options.
- Plans, schedules and delivers presentations on career development and job search skills (resume writing, interviewing, networking, etc.) in group and/or classroom settings.
- Coordinates the internship program. Prepare students for internship search, promote and advertise internship program to employers, develop new internship sites relevant to student’s major, skill and geographic interests. Assist with the evaluation of the college-wide required internship program.
- Assists the Director with employer development. Provides outreach to employers and community representatives to connect students and alumni with potential employers and develops partnerships with employers.
- Coordinates and participates in career fairs, on campus recruiting and similar activities to facilitate the job placement of students.
- Compiles, studies and reports occupational, educational, and economic information to aid students in implementing career and educational goals and making informed career decisions
- Oversees materials in career resource library; make recommendations for purchase of books, software, and other relevant publications.
- Provides career development information and presentations to alumnae, college boards, parents and faculty when requested.
- Assist with the management and the updating of a web based Internship and Job Search database system.
- Assist with updating the Career Services web site content for prospective students, current students, alumnae, employers and parents.
- Represents the college at community and/or business meetings to promote existing and new programs and job/internship opportunities for students.
- Works with faculty to promote career development models, activities and workshops integrated in courses where and when appropriate. Establishes rapport with assigned faculty to provide appropriate, challenging and meaningful internship sites that enhance the subject area knowledge in an experiential education setting.
- Participates in professional development associations and organizations to remain current in field of career counseling and labor market information.
- May supervise student workers.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- MA/MS/M.Ed or related degree
- 1-3 years experience working with college students
- 1-3 years experience in a business or non-profit setting
The preferred but not required qualifications for this position are:
- Experience in Internship, Cooperative Education or employer relations in higher education setting
- Certifications and licensing in counseling, career counseling preferred. Career Development Facilitator certification accepted
- Cover letter, resume/CV, contact information for three professional references
- Copies of the appropriate licenses, certificates, and/or registrations
Job Posting Date: Friday, August 19, 2016
Deadline for Submission: Friday, September 2, 2016 5:00 PM