Student Newsletter and Reminders
Happy "End of the Semester"! ...and congratulations to those graduating!
As the 2019-2020 school year wraps up, we want to express a hearty congratulations to all for finishing another academic year and our sincere appreciation for your resilience and flexibility this semester in particular.
Summer session 1 (and the dual session) starts on May 26, 2020. North Carolina Central University has announced that ALL summer courses will be online courses. There will not be any on campus courses this summer. At this time, we do not have any new information about Fall coursework
Just a reminder about our summer courses (as announced in the last couple of student newsletters).
- CON 5372: All sections of the Practicum course (CON 5372) will be cancelled this summer. No one will be permitted to start their practicum placement this summer.
- CON 5390: Only those students who have been permitted to continue at their Internship sites will be allowed to take the second half of their Internship course this summer. Current internship instructors will provide information to their students if they are approved. This restriction does not apply to those students who may receive an Incomplete (“I”) this Spring and may be trying to complete their Spring internship hours. Current practicum students with plans to start Internship in the summer will need to wait until the Fall to begin their internship.
Because of these changes, the only Memorandums of Agreement that were due on April 10 were the MOAs from those students who were approved to take the 2nd half of their internship. All other MOAs for the Fall semester will be due by July 10, 2020.
If you are impacted by this change, please get in touch with your adviser at some point to revise your plan of study.
Our hope (right now) is that our Fall schedule will remain as it is, and we already anticipate that we will need to make room in some Fall sections of courses to accommodate students misplaced by the Summer changes. However, with that said, please be aware that circumstances are fluid and could yet change again. Unfortunately, we can not guarantee at this time that the Fall schedule will remain unchanged.
Summer 2020 Residency for CON 5371 - ONLINE STUDENTS
Adhering to the current University policies regarding on-campus gatherings, there will NOT be an on-campus residency in the Summer of 2020 for students taking the two online sections of CON 5371: Pre-practicum in Counseling.
However, there will be mandatory synchronous online meetings to recover the lost residency time (please plan accordingly). The May 28 and July 16 dates were previously posted in BANNER when registration opened:
- May 28: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- June 4: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- June 11: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- June 18: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- June 25: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- July 2: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- July 9: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- July 16: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
- July 23: 4-5:15pm OL1, 5:30-6:45pm OL2
Don't forget that a textbook list is posted on the Program's website here:
Please have your materials available and ready before summer classes begin on May 26, 2020.
Are you looking for another class this summer?
Take a look at CON 5305 (OL1): Approaches to Treatment of Opioid Use Disorders offered online during the first summer session. This is a special topics course - and is being offered for the first time ever at NCCU.
May Webinar: May 5, 2020
WEBINAR: The Impact of Substance Abuse on Families and Children
May 5, 2020 at 1pm EDT
Dr. Robert Horne
Our webinars are always FREE! Only those who want a certificate of participation (for continuing education) will be asked to pay a fee.
Upcoming Dates to Remember for Counselor Education Students:
- April 27: Last Day of Classes for Graduating Students
- May 1: Final grades for graduating students due in BANNER by 5pm
- May 5: May Webinar
- May 6: Last Day of Classes for All Students
- May 6: Certification of Graduates - School of Education (faculty only)
- May 7: May and Summer Graduate Exit Interview (via WebEX)
- May 7: Counselor Education Faculty Meeting
- May 8: All grades due in BANNER by 5pm
- May 26: First day of classes for Dual and Summer Session 1
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.