Congratulations to our Spring Graduates!
...and "way to go" on finishing another semester!
Title: Tele-Mental Health Counseling: Building trust and rapport with your clients online!
Date: May 11, 2021 @ 1pm EDT
Presenters: Elizabeth Grady, PhD, LCMHCS
Today’s counselors are faced with a complex issue that summons them to move forward with new technologies and face unforeseen challenges. As counselors work to integrate innovative ways to provide counseling, reduce barriers for clients seeking services and continue to remain competitive with telemedicine providers, technology is zooming ahead at lightning speed. The purpose of this presentation is to help counselors increase confidence and understanding of ethical practices, learn strategies for building rapport online and offer a positive, enthusiastic view of online counseling.
This presentation will reflect a positive view of distance counseling, by
- Reviewing current technical and legal considerations for providing counseling online and specifically understand ways to communicate those policies online;
- Offering strategies for building trust and rapport online through the use of body language, voice, communication approaches and overall visual presentation;
- Sharing considerations for empathic, person-centered, multicultural counseling delivered online via synchronous video.
Summer and Fall Semesters - A Note from the Department Chair
Please be aware that there are synchronous and asynchronous course listings both this summer and next fall.
- Synchronous: All students are online at the same time.
- Asynchronous: Students do not have to be online at the same time.
If a class is synchronous, there will be a specific day and time listed on BANNER. Please pay attention to this information when registering. If you register for a synchronous course, you are required to be present during each and every class day and time. Synchronous classes meet every week on the same day at the same time. If you cannot commit to the class meeting times, please do not register for the course. You will need to develop a different plan with your advisor.
Registration and Overrides
Any communication regarding registration or course overrides should be through your advisor. Please do not send any communication to Ms. Joyner about registration. Your advisor should be the only person to communicate with Ms. Joyner regarding course registration.
~ C. Royal
Telehealth Course Scheduled this Fall
Practicum and Internship - Fall 2021
Students completing a practicum or internship in the fall of 2021: Your Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) is due to Dr. Blount by 5pm on Friday, July 9, 2021.
PRAXIS (Licensure Test for School Counselors)
The Professional School Counselor exam of the Praxis II (test number 5421) is required for school counselor licensure in North Carolina. This exam should be taken during your practicum or internship placement. We now have a page dedicated to this topic on the student branch of our website.
Pursuing a Second Degree - Changes Ahead
For students who are graduating Spring 2022 or later, you MUST complete a minimum of 18 semester hours above and beyond your original plan of study in order to receive a second degree. There are very specific courses that must be completed to receive a second degree, and these are specified on this page: http://www.nccucounseling.com/student2/index.php/advising/dual-major
Please note that your second internship must consist of a 600-hour placement. In other words, students receiving a second degree will complete a second 600-hour internship placement (600 hours for their first major, 600 hours for their second major).
Please speak with your advisor if you have any questions.
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- May 11 @ 1pm: May Webinar; Departmental Faculty Meeting (data analysis)
- May 14: DegreeWorks traning (faculty only)
- May 25: First day of classes for Dual and Summer 1 Sessions
- May 26: All registration activities (i.e., drop/add) for Dual and Summer 1 Sessions end at 4pm; last day to withdraw with a tuition adjustment/refund
- May 31: Memorial Day observance, no classes
- June 2: Last day to withdraw from a Dual or Summer 1 class with a WC grade
- July 9 (5pm): Fall MOAs due to Dr. Blount
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.