Congratulations to Summer and Fall Graduates!
Your homework during the break between semesters...be sure to take some time off and "un-plug" for a while. Take care of yourself.
Spring Semester - Classes begin January 10, 2022
Please be aware that there are synchronous and asynchronous online course listings this spring semester.
Synchronous: All students are online at the same time.
Asynchronous: Students do not have to be online at the same time.
If a class is synchronous, there will be a specific day and time listed on BANNER. Please pay attention to this information when registering. If you register for a synchronous course, you are required to be present during each and every class day and time. Synchronous classes meet every week on the same day at the same time. If you cannot commit to the class meeting times, please do not register for the course. You will need to develop a different plan with your advisor.
Synchronous classes this spring:
- CON 5305: Advanced Telehealth Counseling (Saturdays from 10am-12pm)
- CON 5306: Intro to Addictions Counseling (Mondays from 4-6:30pm)
- CON 5351: Group Counseling (Tuesday or Thursday, depending on the section)
- CON 5361-OL3: Multicultural and Gender Issues (Tuesdays from 4-6:30pm)
- CON 5362-OL1: Diagnosis, Assessment, and Psychopathology (Tuesdays from 4-6:30pm)
- CON 5371: Pre-practicum (Wednesdays, time depends on the section)
- CON 5372: Practicum (Tuesdays from 5-6:30pm)
- CON 5390: Internship (Wednesdays from 5-7:30pm)
- EDGR 5920: Ed. Research (Thursdays from 4-6:30pm)
There are also some courses that have some mandatory meeting times. Please read the "NOTE" sections on Banner.
- CON 5304 meets on Jan. 11 from 7-8pm
- CON 5362-OL2 has required WebEX/Zoom meetings on 1/10, 2/7, 3/14, and 4/11 from 5-6:30pm
As usual, make sure to have your textbooks and materials ready before the semester begins. You can find a textbook list here.
NBCC Foundation - Minority Fellowship Program - Application Deadline EXTENDED to January 16, 2022
The NBCC Foundation is pleased to announce the application period for the 2022 National Board for Certified Counselors Minority Fellowship Program (NBCC MFP). Ninety (90) doctoral and master’s-level counseling fellowships are available.
Award amounts range from $10,000 to $20,000 and include fellowships in the following categories:
- Up to 20 doctoral fellowships
- Up to 30 master's fellowships for mental health counseling students
- Up to 40 master's fellowships for addiction counseling students
The MFP is made possible by a grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and administered by the NBCC Foundation.
The application period for 2022 awards will run from Aug. 23, 2021 through January 16, 2022. Applications will close on January 16, 2022.
For more information or to apply, visit https://nbccf.org/programs/scholarships
Chi Sigma Iota, International Counseling Honor Society
Do you have a GPA average of 3.5 or above? Have you completed more than 9-credit hours in your program? Do you have a desire to serve your program, department, and community? Well, why not consider becoming a Nu Chi Chi, NCCU's chapter of Chi Sigma Iota (Counseling Honor Society) member.
If you have all the above qualities, follow the process below:
- You will receive a response from Drs. Scott or Kurian by January 15, 2022, indicating if you have been accepted. The letter will have steps you need to do to register through CSI Society's website. This registration needs to be done by February 28, 2022.
- After we receive notice of your registration from CSI Headquarters, you will receive a letter from Ashley Goss, President of Nu Chi Chi (NCCU Chapter) by March 30th. It will contain information about the Virtual CSI induction ceremony held on Friday, April 1st at 6pm and other chapter information such as dues, etc. A short meeting to select new officers for the 2022-2023 school year will be held after the ceremony.
If you have any questions, please contact Drs. Scott or Kurian.
3rd Annual NCCU Career Institute - January 14, 2022
Empowering Veterans through Career and Mental Health Counseling in the Midst of COVID
The North Carolina Central University Department of Counseling and Higher Education and the Career Counseling Program invite you to the 2022 Virtual Career Institute entitled, “Empowering Veterans through Career and Mental Health Counseling in the Midst of COVID.” This event will be held on Friday, January 14, 2022 from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, and will bring together professionals and graduate students from around the state who are interested in career, mental health, and rehabilitation development for a networking and learning opportunity.
- Dr. Seth Hayden will be the keynote speaker. He is presently the National Career Development Association's President and has completed numerous research projects in the military and veterans’ population over the years.
- Dr. Latonia Laffite is a counselor educator that is also a veteran. She has served in the Activity Duty Army and the Air Force Reserves. She retired from the military as a Senior Master Sergeant (E-8) and worked for the Wounded Warrior Project, assisting veterans with getting the careers that they would like to have and the therapeutic services that they need.
- Dr. Kerri McCullough works with current reserve members and national guardsman that need assistance with career development. Dr. McCullough is currently a Staff Sergeant (E-5) in the Air National Guard in the District of Columbia.
- We will also have a panel with student veterans and military personnel, who will discuss their careers and mental health challenges over the years.
Attendees will earn a certificate of up to 3 clock hours of continuing education for this half day conference.
A full agenda will be available by January 7, 2022.
Pursuing a Second Degree
For students who are graduating Spring 2022 or later, you MUST complete a minimum of 18 semester hours above and beyond your original plan of study in order to receive a second degree. There are very specific courses that must be completed to receive a second degree and these are specified on this page: http://www.nccucounseling.com/student2/index.php/advising/dual-major
If you are pursuing two degrees, make sure that you have completed the new form that ensures the University is aware of your intention to pursue two degrees at the same time. This form is new as of fall 2021. It can be found in the forms area of the student website ("Adding a Second Major").
This form is completed and sent to your advisor for processing. Once the form has been processed, you should see both degree programs on your transcript in BANNER.
Please note that your second internship must consist of a 600-hour placement. In other words, students receiving a second degree will complete a second 600-hour internship placement (600 hours for their first major, 600 hours for their second major).
Please speak with your advisor if you have any questions.
Latest Announcements from nccuCounseling
- Southern Association for College Admission Counseling: Free Access Membership 2021-12-15
- Wake Tech is hiring for a full time temporary advisor 2021-12-09
- Summer Employment Opportunity - Louis August Jonas Foundation 2021-12-09
- Student Newsletter - December 6, 2021 2021-12-06
- Student Newsletter - November 22, 2021 2021-11-22
- Cumberland County Schools is Hiring Middle School Counselors 2021-11-19
- Orange County Rape Crisis Center is Hiring for Program Coordinator - Therapy Access for Underserved Communities 2021-11-19
- 3rd Annual Career Institute 2021-11-18
- NC School of Science and Math is Hiring for a Temporary Counseling Position 2021-11-18
- Emily K Center is Hiring a part-time Career and Professional Development Advisor 2021-11-16
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- January 10: First Day of Classes, Spring 2022
- January 14: 3rd Annual Career Institute
- January 21: Field Site Supervisor Orientation for all Practicum and Internship Site Supervisors - 3pm
- February 2-4: CACREP Virtual Site Visit
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.