Students must make a passing score on the Counseling Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE) in order to graduate from the Counselor Education Program at NCCU. This examination is a standardized test taken the semester before the student intends to graduate.
Students are NOT permitted to take this exam any earlier than one semester before they intend on graduating - AND - have the approval of their advisor.
For example, if you intend to graduate in the Spring of 2019 (May, 2019), take the exam in the Fall of 2018. If you intend on graduating the the Fall of 2019 (December, 2019), take the exam in the Spring of 2019.
Students typically take this exam either:
- The semester they are enrolled in Practicum (if they are to complete Internship in one semester), or
- The first semester of their internship (if they complete Internship in two semesters)
These examples may not apply to everyone, especially students taking Practicum during the summer or dual-major students. The CPCE is not offered at NCCU during the summer. Dual-major students may want to wait to complete the exam until they have an idea of when they intend to graduate. Take the exam the semester just before the semester they intend to graduate.
A student who fails to pass the CPCE may, after a period of one semester, apply for and secure reexamination. Should a second failure occur, a third examination is possible upon recommendation of the program coordinator and a favorable vote from the Graduate Council. If the student’s request to take the comprehensive examination is denied, or in the event of a third failure, the student will be dismissed from the program. For more information about the CPCE go to online to www.cce-global.org.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR REGISTERING FOR THE CPCE
Registering for the CPCE at NCCU is a two-step process. Please follow the directions below to complete your registration for the CPCE (comprehensive exam). Remember to refer to Key Dates for the 2-week testing window in the fall and spring of each year.
(Testing on campus)
*If you will be requesting exam accommodations, refer SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS below.
NOTE: If you are also taking the NCE, this is a separate registration process that must be completed in order to take the CPCE. You must register and create an account for each exam. Do not use the same username for the two accounts.
Registering with CCE:
- Go to the CPCE registration link and fill out the required information. https://www.research.net/r/cpce-apb-reg . Complete this registration at least 7 business days (not calendar) before testing to allow sufficient processing time. DO NOT complete the CCE registration more than one time.
- An export will be sent to Pearson VUE twice a week.
- Once you complete the link above, you will receive an “Authorization to Test” email from Pearson within 7 business days. (*Be sure to check your spam and junk folders.) The email will contain your candidate ID number. Please allow 7 business days (not calendar) to receive your email before contacting CCE. Registrations cannot be expedited.
After you complete the steps above (CCE registration part) you will receive an email from Pearson VUE with your candidate ID number. After you receive your candidate ID number you will proceed with the second part (see below “Registering with Pearson VUE”). When you get to #15 under the Registering with Pearson VUE section (below), you will be prompted for payment.
Registering with Pearson VUE:
- AFTER you receive the email from Pearson VUE, go to their website to create an account. (http://www.pearsonvue.com/cce/ap/). **IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM PEARSON VUE after waiting 7 business days, please contact CCE at cpce@cce‐global.org. DO NOT CREATE AN ACCOUNT with Pearson VUE until you have your Candidate ID number.
- Click “I am a test taker”
- CCE‐Anywhere Proctored screen: #1 Create web account – Click “web account”
- CCE‐Create a web account: Enter your first name and last name that was used with your CCE registration. Then, put in your candidate ID number from your “Authorization to Test” email and click Next.
- Enter your contact information. When putting in your email address, BE SURE to put the same email you used when you completed the CCE registration.
- You will need to create a username, password, and answer security questions. YOUR USERNAME should be the email address used for the CCE registration.
- “CCE Exams” screen: Click on “CPCE‐APB: Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination (CPCE)” under the Pre‐approved Exams.
- Look at the ending eligibility date to make sure that it does not expire before you will be testing.
- *If you will be receiving an exam accommodation of additional time, you should now click on “Sign out”. You will need to contact the Pearson VUE Accommodations team at 800‐466‐0450 to register and pay for the exam via credit card or voucher number, if applicable. DO NOT PAY for your exam online if you will be receiving accommodations.
- “Exam Details” screen: Click on Register for this Exam.
- “Additional Questions from CCE” screen: Answer and click Next.
- “My Order” screen: Click on Proceed to Checkout. (Once you have paid for the exam, you will need to test within the semester that you registered.) *ALL FEES ARE NON‐REFUNDABLE
- “Checkout‐Step 1: Confirm Personal Information”: Your name must exactly match the identification that is presented at the test center (first and last name). Click on Next.
- “Checkout‐Step 2: Agree to Policies”: Read over the CCE policies, check the box at the bottom right and click Next.
- “Checkout‐Step 3: Enter Payment”: Enter credit card information and then you will see your Order Total. Click on Next. (If your school has provided you with a voucher number, click on “Add Voucher or Promo Code” and then put in the voucher number.)
- “Checkout‐Step 4: Submit Order”: Review everything and then click on Submit Order.
- You must check with your school to find out the specific test date(s)/time/location that they are offering the exam. (This exam CANNOT be taken at home. It must be in a proctored environment at your school.)
- REMEMBER YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD. You will need this on the day of the exam. *Registrations cannot be expedited for any reason.
- After completing this you will receive an email instructing you to call your Testing Center (Taylor Education Building on NCCU’s campus) to schedule your testing appointment. You will call 919-530-7367 and ask to speak to Ms. Cynthia Duarte. Ms. Duarte will schedule your appointment.
- If you need to make any EDITS/CHANGES to your demographic information that was exported to Pearson VUE, send an email to cpce@cce‐global.org with the corrections and it will be updated with Pearson.
- After you complete the exam, your score report should print out if the computer is connected to a printer. If not, you can sign in to your Pearson account by going to www.pearsonvue.com/cpce and will see an option to view/print your score report. However, it can take up to 24 hours for the score report to show up in your account. The score report will show your score in each content area and a total score.
- A score roster will be sent to your school with confirmation of your testing the following month after you test. They should receive it by the middle of the month. (i.e. A score roster of students who tested during the month of August will be sent to the school around September 15th.)
- Students that need to RETAKE THE EXAM should check with their program coordinator to set up a date. Then, they will sign in to their Pearson VUE account at www.pearsonvue.com/cpce, check their eligibility, and pay for the exam. DO NOT PAY for the exam again if your eligibility has expired. Make sure the eligibility is still current.
- Students can test up to 3 times within the 6 month eligibility period as long as their school is having a CPCE administration and their eligibility will not expire before the test date. However, they must pay for the exam each time they test. The CPCE Program Coordinator at CCE will need to be notified of the additional date(s) to authorize proctor approval.
- If a STUDENT’S ELIGIBILITY EXPIRES, they should ask their school to email the CPCE Program Coordinator (Laura Hall) at CCE to extend their eligibility. DO NOT COMPLETE THE CCE REGISTRATION AGAIN OR PAY FOR THE EXAM YET.
- SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: If you are approved to receive additional time, ZOOMTEXT, or color contrast for testing, please have the Disabilities Office or Student Affairs at your school email a letter on school letterhead with your name stating that you are approved for this accommodation, along with a signature and date, to Laura Hall at CCE at cpce@cce‐global.org. Keep in mind that the additional time will not show on your computer screen until you have clicked on question 1. All other accommodations will be set up by your school. DO NOT PAY for the exam until the accommodations have been applied to your record. Then, you will call the Pearson VUE Accommodations team to register/pay over the phone.
- Pearson VUE customer service is open Monday‐Friday 7:00am‐7:00pm CST. (866‐904‐4432)
In April of 2014, the Association for the Advance Training in Behavioral Sciences (AATBS) provided a discount for NCCU students wishing to purchase either their CPCE or NCE study materials (these are the materials that Dr. Moody usually recommends). Please see this document for details.