Safe Zone/Trans Zone Virtual Training
Facilitated by the NCCU LGBTA Resource Center
Open to current students and faculty in the Counseling and Higher Education Department
Friday, February 24, 2023
Registration opened on January 10, 2023 and will close on February 20th
**All attendees will be given a certificate upon completion of the training
Safe Zone - Language surrounding the LGBTQ+ community consistently changes. This training begins with an introduction to the usage of pronouns, common terminology, and ways to be an effective ally to members of the LGBTQ+ community.
Trans Zone - Similar to Safe Zone, this training dives a little deeper into the specificities of terminology and topics related to trans-identified individuals.
Counseling Fellowships and Scholarships Available - Deadline Extended For Addiction Counseling Fellowships
The final deadline to apply for the 2023 NBCC Minority Fellowship Program for Addiction Counselors has been extended to Jan. 31, 2023.
NBCC MFP Addiction Counseling Fellowships
Forty (40) master’s-level counseling fellowships are available for current addiction counseling students.
Each $15,000 fellowship provides a sustainability package that includes access to mentors; professional resources, including attendance at NAADAC’s Annual Conference; and much more.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
- Applicants must not already possess a master’s degree in a behavioral health field.
- Applicants must not receive any other federal program training funds (except for federal loans or work-study programs).
- Applicants must be enrolled and be in good standing in one of the following programs:
- A Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP)-accredited master’s-level addictions counseling program or other master’s-level counseling program with a concentration in addictions.
- An addictions program accredited by the National Addictions Studies Accreditation Commission (NASAC).
- A regionally accredited master’s-level addictions counseling program or other master’s-level counseling program with a concentration in addictions.
- For a FULL list of eligibility requirements and to submit an application, visit the link below.
The NBCC MFP for addiction counseling fellowships are administered by the NBCC Foundation in collaboration with NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals.
Multicultural Play Therapy Center Conference - UNC-Charlotte
Trauma-Informed Care through Child-Centered Play Therapy Workshops
January 20 & 21, 2023
Nu Chi Chi, NCCU's Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, Social Hours will resume again in January. These events are open to all students and faculty in the counseling program. Remember, these events occur on the 4th Sunday of every month, from 7:00-8:00pm (ET).
If you're available – we'd love to see you. We've enjoyed spending time with you throughout the semester, and we hope these events have provided a fun way to engage and build community. We hope to see everyone Sunday!
Save The Dates! Future Social Hours will be held from 7:00-8:00pm (ET) on:
- Sunday, January 22nd, 2023
- Sunday, February 27th, 2023
- Sunday, March 26th, 2023
Stay tuned for more information on upcoming events.
We hope to see you online in January!
CPCE Testing Dates - Spring 2023
CPCE testing at NCCU Testing Center (Taylor Building) dates and availability for spring 2023:
- 2pm Wednesday, March 15 and 16, limited to 2 seats for each date
- 9am Friday, March 17, limited to 4 seats
- 8:30am Tuesday, March 21 - Friday, March 24, 2 seats each date
- 2pm Tuesday, March 21 - Friday, March 24, 4 seats each date
The CPCE registration survey is current and ready for use on our website.
Latest Announcements from nccuCounseling
- Possible Practicum/Internship Site: Welltheology Counseling Center 2023-01-11
- Barwell Road Elementary (Wake County Public Schools) is hiring 2023-01-10
- Black Research Symposium 2023-01-10
- Safe Zone/Trans Zone: Virtual Training Opportunity - Registration Available 2023-01-10
- Key Dates: Spring 2023 2023-01-09
- Chi Sigma Iota, Counseling Honors Society 2023-01-09
- One Million Black Women Research Partnership Convening - January 31, 2023 2023-01-05
- Counseling Fellowships and Scholarships Available - Deadline Extended For Addiction Counseling Fellowships 2023-01-04
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- January 18: Graduation forms for May 2023 graduates to advisor by 5pm
- January 19 @ 10:40am: Popcorn Thursday
- January 20 at 3pm: Site Supervisor Orientation - online
- January 22 @ 7pm: Online open house for prospective students; CSI Social
- January 23: Late registration adjustment period (drop/add) concludes at 4pm
- January 24: Faculty meeting, Department of Counseling and Higher Education; First day a student can initiate a withdrawal from class (grade of WC) and student to request to be withdrawn from the institution (grade of W)
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.