Spring 2021 Registration
Registration for the spring semester is set to begin on October 14, 2020. Please request a meeting with your advisor soon -- so that you will be ready to sign up for classes when registration opens.
Taking the CPCE this spring?
The CPCE testing window for the spring semester of 2021 is March 15-26, 2021.
Apply for a Counseling Fellowship!
Are you committed to providing counseling services to underserved communities? You may be eligible for one of 90 doctoral- and master’s-level counseling fellowships through the NBCC Minority Fellowship Program (MFP).Application deadline is Dec. 15, 2020.Available awards range from $10,000 up to $20,000.
- Up to 20 doctoral fellowships
- Up to 30 master’s fellowships for mental health counseling students
- Up to 40 master’s fellowships for addictions counseling students
For more information or to apply, visit www.nbccf.org/programs/scholarshipsThe MFP is made possible by a grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and administered by the NBCC Foundation.
Spring Semester - Practicum or Internship
The Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) form for the Spring 2021 semester is due to Dr. Blount by Friday, November 13, 2020. The newly revised Spring 2021 MOA can be located on our website.
Do you intend to graduate this spring (May 2021)?
If so, you will need to submit your "Admission to Candidacy" form to your adviser this semester. This form (with instructions on filling it out) can be found in the "forms" area within the Student branch of our Program website.
If you intend to graduate in the spring, you should also plan to take the CPCE this semester.
Have questions? Schedule a time to speak with your adviser - and check out this page on the website.
Title: The Impact of Substance Use on Families and Children (Part 2): Addiction Treatment Models for Families
Date: October 13, 2020 at 1:00pm EDT
Presenter: Dr. Robert Horne
Traditionally, addiction has been viewed as a disease that impacts individuals. However, addiction is far more than a disease that impacts individuals, addiction impacts the individual, their families, their communities, and the children of individual with addiction. This presentation looks at specific treatment models for working with families with addiction concerns.
At the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Provide an overview of key family counseling constructs and assessment strategies.
- Identify and describe methods for setting the stage for new approaches to working with families with addiction concerns.
- Identify and discuss 3 key differences between counseling individuals with addiction concerns and families with addiction concerns.
- Explain 3 therapeutic models for working with families with addiction concerns
Register by clicking the link below:
Don't forget that our textbook list is always posted on the Program's website here:
Please have your materials available and ready before classes begin.
North Carolina Central University is switching to a new assessment system (Watermark/Taskstream). The School of Education will no longer use Foliotek. We will make information about this new system available as things progress. For now, you do not need to create or renew a Foliotek account. You will not need to upload any more documents into the Foliotek system. Please be assured that faculty will still have access to what you have already uploaded in Foliotek.
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- September 28: Last day to withdraw with a prorated tuition and fee adjustment
- October 5 & 6: Mid-program Reviews for those hoping to take Practicum in the spring of 2021
- October 7, 8, & 9: Group Counseling Course Residency
- October 13: Webinar @ 1pm EDT
- October 14: Registration for spring 2021 opens
- October 16: Last day to withdraw from a course
- November 2: Final Defenses (Mock Interviews) for those graduating in fall 2020
- November 18-19: NC Career Development Association Virtual Conference
- December 5: Commencement
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.