Spring 2021 Registration
Registration for the spring semester began on October 14, 2020. Classes have filled quickly. Please contact your advisor ASAP if you have not already registered for the spring semester.
Taking the CPCE this spring?
The CPCE testing window for the spring semester of 2021 is March 15-26, 2021.
Test-taking Strategies Workshop - Spring 2021 - January 24, 2021
The purpose of this workshop is to assist students with strategies and skills to take the NCE and CPCE exams. Topics include managing test-taking anxiety, personalizing a study plan, and practicing multiple study strategies (e.g., mnemonic devices, flash cards). This workshop is meant to supplement your continued study of core content. While we will cover exam content throughout the day, it will not be our sole or primary focus. Please sign up by Sunday, January 17, 2021.
Apply for a Counseling Fellowship!
Are you committed to providing counseling services to underserved communities? You may be eligible for one of 90 doctoral- and master’s-level counseling fellowships through the NBCC Minority Fellowship Program (MFP).Application deadline is Dec. 15, 2020.Available awards range from $10,000 up to $20,000.
- Up to 20 doctoral fellowships
- Up to 30 master’s fellowships for mental health counseling students
- Up to 40 master’s fellowships for addictions counseling students
For more information or to apply, visit www.nbccf.org/programs/scholarshipsThe MFP is made possible by a grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and administered by the NBCC Foundation.
Spring Semester - Practicum or Internship
The Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) form for the Spring 2021 semester is due to Dr. Blount by Friday, November 13, 2020. The Spring 2021 MOA is located on our website. Failure to submit your MOA by the deadline will likely result in a delay of your placement. You may have to postpone your placement plans by a semester.
Do you intend to graduate this spring (May 2021)?
If so, you will need to submit your "Admission to Candidacy" form to your adviser this semester. This form (with instructions on filling it out) can be found in the "forms" area within the Student branch of our Program website.
Have questions? Schedule a time to speak with your adviser - and check out this page on the website.
Graduating this December? - Final Defense
Have you signed up for your final defense (mock interview)? You are able to sign-up for an appointment time HERE. If your graduation was delayed by COVID, and you already completed your defense last spring, there is no need to complete the defense again.
Don't forget that our textbook list is always posted on the Program's website here:
Please have your materials available and ready before classes begin.
2nd Annual 2021 Spring (Virtual) Career Institute
Theme: “Career, COVID, Cognitive Information Processing (CCC): Career Strategies to Empower Individuals with COVID Related Challenges”
The North Carolina Central University Career Counseling Program invites you to the 2nd Annual 2021 Virtual Spring Career Institute, entitled, “Career, COVID, Cognitive Information Process (CCC): Career Strategies to Empower Individuals with COVID- Related Challenges.”
This event will be held virtually on Friday, January 29, 2021 from 8:45 am – 12:00 noon (eastern time) and will bring together professionals from around the state who are interested in career, and mental health.
Dr. Debra Osborn will be the Keynote Speaker. She is a Co-Director and Senior Research Associate for the Center for the Study of Technology in Counseling and Career Development at Florida State University.
Other speakers include:
- Dr. Casey Dozier -- Program Director, Instruction, Research, & Evaluation, Florida State University Career Center -- who will speak on clinical training and service provision and how the career center pivoted in its various roles in response to COVID.
- Dr. Seth Hayden -- Wake Forest University, National Career Development Association president -- will focus on Cognitive Information Processing (CIP) and COVID.
- Dr. Denise Saunders -- Licensed Psychologist --a private practitioner who will also bring her unique perspectives on career counseling and COVID.
Register here: https://2021careerinstitute.eventbrite.com
North Carolina Central University is switching to a new assessment system (Watermark/Taskstream). The School of Education will no longer use Foliotek. We will make information about this new system available as things progress. For now, you do not need to create or renew a Foliotek account. You will not need to upload any more documents into the Foliotek system. Please be assured that faculty will still have access to what you have already uploaded in Foliotek.
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- October 27: Departmental Faculty Meeting (faculty only)
- October 30: (Virtual) Founder's Day
- November 2: Final Defenses (Mock Interviews) for those graduating in fall 2020
- November 4-6: NC School Counselor Association Annual Conference
- November 18-19: NC Career Development Association Virtual Conference
- December 5: Commencement
- January 24, 2021: Test-taking Strategies Workshop
- January 29, 2021: 2nd Annual Spring Career Institute
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.