Protocol for Submitting a Special Request for Practicum/Internship Placement
Completing your Pracitcum or Internship at your current place of employment is neither recommended, encouraged, or endorsed. You will need to make a special written request if you wish to attempt your clinical placement with your employer.
Students: If there are no other alternatives for completing your Practicum or Internship and you have considered your place of employment, you will have to submit a special request for the Practicum/Internship placement. Send an e-mail with your proposed plan to Drs. Whiting, Royal, and Blount. Do not make a telephone call. Please indicate the following in your proposal:
1). Explain your current job position
2). Explain how the Practicum/Internship placement will be different from your job duties
3). Identify how you will complete the required hours at the site
4). Indicate if the potential site supervisor meets the requirements for supervision for the discipline:
- A qualified site supervisor must have at least a master’s degree in counseling, social work, or psychology
- Must have at least two years of experience in the field
- Site supervisors are expected to have a license related to the designated track. For example:
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program prefers that students be supervised by Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors (LCMHC) or Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors-Supervisors (LCMHC-S) in the state in which they are practicing.
- Students completing site placement in the school setting, site supervisors must be a Licensed Professional School Counselor in the state in which they are practicing.
- Students completing site placement in a career center, site supervisors must have at least two years of experience serving as a Career Counselor.
5). Explain if your potential site supervisor will allow tape recordings.
- The Special Request has to be approved prior to submitting the final Memorandum of Agreement with Site Supervisor’s signature.
- Students should not submit their Special Request & Memorandum of Agreement. This implies the Field Service Committee has approved the Special Request.
- If the Special Request is a new site, please make sure to complete the Field Site Survey Form.
**Do not presume that your request will be honored**