Student Newsletter and Reminders
November 18, 2019
WILL YOU BE IN A CLINICAL PLACEMENT THIS SPRING?
If you plan to complete your Practicum or Internship in the Spring 2020 semester, your Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) was due last Friday, November 15, 2019. This was a firm deadline. If your MOA was not submitted on time, this message serves as a notice that you will likely need to delay your placement.
NBCC Foundation Minority Fellowship Program
NBCC Foundation Minority Fellowship Program (MFP) - available awards range from $10,000 to $20,000. For more information, visit NBCCF.org/programs. Application deadline is December 15, 2019.
Supervision for School Counselors - December 10, 2019 at 1pm
Drs. Taheera Blount and Jennifer Barrow
School counselors need help, too. Professional supervision of school counselors is essential to the development of school counselors. Supervision designed around advocacy, efficiency, and effectiveness may serve to decrease burnout, increase direct services, and provide a network of support. Two former school counselors will share a tiered approach to supporting future and current school counselors through quality supervision. Target audience may include current school counselors, school counselors-in-training, licensure supervisors, counselor educators, and school district staff.
Registration will be available soon at nccuCounseling.com. Students can attend all webinars for free; registration is required.
Congratulations to Dr. Barrow
The North Carolina School Counseling Association selected Dr. Jennifer Barrow as this year's Counselor Educator of the Year. Dr. Barrow was honored last week at the NCSCA conference.
Join us in congratulating Dr. Barrow!
Purchase Your Textbooks for the Spring Semester
The textbook list is available on our website here. Purchase your texts before the next semester begins, when possible, so that you will be ready to go when classes start.
Are you planning on double-majoring?
There is a new process for declaring a second major. Read more about the process here.
Upcoming Dates to Remember for Counselor Education students:
- Nov. 20: SOE Graduate Council Meeting
- Nov. 21 at 3pm: Orientation for new students (admitted for the Spring 2020 semester)
- Nov. 26 at 11am: Counselor Education Program Faculty Meeting
- Nov. 27-Dec. 1: Thanksgiving Recess, no classes
- Dec. 2: Last day of classes for graduating students and last day of class lecture for non-graduating students
- Dec. 3: Reading Day
- Dec. 10 at 1pm: December Webinar
- Dec. 13 at 9am: Commencement rehearsal (required for those participating in commencement ceremony)
- Dec. 13 at 3pm: Exit Interview for Counselor Education graduating students
- Dec. 13 at 6pm: Chancellor's reception for graduating students
- Dec. 14 at 9am: Fall Commencement for Graduate Students (2pm for undergraduates)
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.
The "Student Newsletter and Reminders" is sent out to the student email list every two weeks.