Student Newsletter and Reminders
Congratulations December Graduates!
To everyone....Enjoy your break and take care of yourself!
2020 Spring Career Institute
The North Carolina Central University Counselor Education Program invites you to the 2020 Spring Career Institute, titled, “Career Interventions to Empower Individuals with Health Concerns, Disabilities, and Other Career Issues.” This event will be held on Friday, January 24, 2020 from 8:30 am – 12:00 noon and will bring professionals from around the state interested in career, mental health, and rehabilitation development together to learn and network.
- Dr. David R. Strauser (Professor, University of Illinois) will present on career interventions for persons with disabilities.
- Dr. Stephen Leierer (Associate Professor, East Carolina University) will present on the Career Strait Inventory.
- Dr. Harold G. Koenig, M.D. (Professor of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, Associate Professor of Medicine, Director, Center for Spirituality, Theology & Health, Duke University) will present on careers in healthcare: integrating spirituality into patient care sessions
Registration information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-spring-career-institute-tickets-84601251621
Clinical Supervision in a 21st-Century World - February 11, 2020 at 1pm
Dr. Chadwick Royal
This session is for clinical supervisors of counseling students and post-graduate clinicians. We will review supervision methods, modalities, and approaches appropriate to today's clinician.
Students can attend all webinars for free; registration is required.
CPCE and NCE CONTENT REVIEW WORKSHOP - ONLINE
Presented and facilitated by Chadwick Royal, PhD, LPCS.
This review workshop will take place over the course of ten weeks (one hour per week) - for a total of ten hours of content review. Sessions will take place from 7pm to 8pm ET, on Sundays, starting January 5.
CPCE and NCE TEST-TAKING STRATEGIES WORKSHOP - ON CAMPUS
Drs. Levette Scott and Kelly King
Friday, February 7, 2020: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
North Carolina Central University, School of Education, Room 1076
The purpose of this workshop is to assist students and non-students with the strategies and skills necessary to take the NCE and CPCE Examinations. Topics include managing test-taking anxiety, personalizing a study plan, and practicing multiple study strategies (e.g., mnemonic devices, flash cards). This workshop is meant to supplement other studying on core content that you have been doing. While we will cover exam content throughout the day, it will not be our sole or primary focus. Please sign up by Friday January 31, 2020.
Purchase Your Textbooks for the Spring Semester
The textbook list is available on our website here. Purchase your texts before the next semester begins, when possible, so that you will be ready for the first day of class.
Are you planning on double-majoring?
There is a new process for declaring a second major. Read more about the process here.
Upcoming Dates to Remember for Counselor Education Students:
- Jan. 5: CPCE/NCE Online Review Workshop Begins (Sundays, Jan.-March)
- Jan. 13: First Day of Classes, Spring Semester
- Jan. 24: Spring Career Institute
- Feb. 7: CPCE/NCE On-campus Test-taking Strategies Workshop
- Feb. 11: February Webinar
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.