Congratulations to Dr. Kyla Kurian, who has been selected to serve on the CACREP Board of Directors. Dr. Kurian's five-year term begins on July 1, 2022 and ends on June 30, 2027.
The Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), first established in 1981, is an independent agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education (CHEA).
The vision of CACREP is to provide leadership and to promote excellence in professional preparation through the accreditation of counseling and related educational programs. As an accrediting body, CACREP is committed to the development of standards and procedures that reflect the needs of a dynamic, diverse, and complex society.
The mission of CACREP is to promote the professional competence of counseling and related practitioners through
- the development of preparation standards;
- the encouragement of excellence in program development; and
- the accreditation of professional preparation programs.
The CACREP Board of Directors believes in
- advancing the counseling profession through quality and excellence in counselor education;
- ensuring a fair, consistent, and ethical decision-making process;
- serving as a responsible leader in protecting the public;
- promoting practices that reflect openness to growth, change and collaboration; and,
- creating and strengthening standards that reflect the needs of society, respect the diversity of instructional approaches and strategies, and encourage program improvement and best practices.
This appointment comes just as Dr. Kurian will be rotating off the NC Board of Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselors where she currently serves as Chair of the Board. Dr. Kurian has served on the NCBLCMHC for the past five-and-a-half years.
Labor Market Information = Job Opportunities
When we receive job postings or announcements, they are posted our website for three months. Please feel free to visit this page often before and after you graduate.
We posted the following announcements just in the month of February:
|Prince William County Public Schools - Job Fair||28 February 2022|
|Meredith College is hiring||23 February 2022|
|Mecklenburg County Schools (Virginia) is hiring||21 February 2022|
|Vance County School Counseling Positions Available||10 February 2022|
|Emerson Waldorf School is seeking school counselors||08 February 2022|
|NCSU - 3 Openings for Post-master's Fellows Program||07 February 2022|
|Hope Services is recruiting clinicians||07 February 2022|
Spring Break and Registration
Spring Break starts this Saturday (March 5) and runs through the next Sunday (March 13). Registration for both the summer and fall semesters starts the Monday after Spring Break (March 14).
Please make sure that you meet with your advisor and be ready to register when it opens on March 14th. Most advisors will be unavailable during Spring Break, and it is likely that several classes will fill quickly.
As usual, some classes are restricted. Students are not permitted to self-register for CON 5351 (Group), CON 5371 (Pre-practicum), CON 5372 (Practicum), or CON 5390 (Internship). You will need your advisor to complete an override form for those classes.
Would you like to receive text reminders and announcements from the Program?
Join our "Remind" group:
- Text "@nccuco" to 81010, or
- click on https://www.remind.com/join/nccuco
Did you know we also have our own app? Click on THIS LINK in your mobile device or tablet. Select "Add to Home Screen"
Do you intend on graduating this May or summer*?
You will need to complete your Final Defense, scheduled for April 11 through April 14.
*Final defenses are not scheduled over the summer, so if your intention is to graduate this summer, you will need to complete your defense this spring semester.
Find out more and sign up for a time here:
If your intention is to graduate in May, and you have an "I" (Incomplete" on your transcript, you will need to clear the incomplete grade by Monday, March 14 in order to graduate.
March Webinar Canceled
Unfortunately, we have to cancel this event scheduled for March 1, 2022. We hope to reschedule the event within the next several months. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Student Liability Coverage in Practicum and Internship
We have a change in the requirement for professional liability coverage while in Practicum and Internship. Starting this summer, 2022, students will no longer purchase a blanket policy through the University.
Students will need to join either ACA, ASCA, or AMHCA and receive liability coverage through the organization (which should come with membership). Students will need to submit a “Certificate of Insurance” (COI) when they submit their Memorandum of Agreement (MOA).
When you join one of the above organization, be sure to either download or request a copy of your COI. It is only one of many benefits in joining a professional organization.
- American Counseling Association
- American School Counseling Association
- American Mental Health Counseling Association
Pursuing a Second Degree
For students who are graduating Spring 2022 or later, you MUST complete a minimum of 18 semester hours above and beyond your original plan of study in order to receive a second degree. There are very specific courses that must be completed to receive a second degree and these are specified on this page: http://www.nccucounseling.com/student2/index.php/advising/dual-major
If you are pursuing two degrees, make sure that you have completed the new form that ensures the University is aware of your intention to pursue two degrees at the same time. This form is new as of fall 2021. It can be found in the forms area of the student website ("Adding a Second Major").
This form is completed and sent to your advisor for processing. Once the form has been processed, you should see both degree programs on your transcript in BANNER.
Please note that your second internship must consist of a 600-hour placement. In other words, students receiving a second degree will complete a second 600-hour internship placement (600 hours for their first major, 600 hours for their second major).
Please speak with your advisor if you have any questions.
Latest Announcements from nccuCounseling
- Prince William County Public Schools - Job Fair 2022-02-28
- Meredith College is hiring 2022-02-23
- UNC-Pembroke Virtual Counseling Workshop 2022-02-22
- Mecklenburg County Schools (Virginia) is hiring 2022-02-21
- Dr. Kyla Kurian Selected to Serve on CACREP Board of Directors 2022-02-14
- Student Newsletter - February 14, 2022 2022-02-14
- Congratulations to Byron Dickey 2022-02-11
- Vance County School Counseling Positions Available 2022-02-10
- Emerson Waldorf School is seeking school counselors 2022-02-08
- Research Assistant Needed ASAP 2022-02-07
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- February 28-March 4: Mid-program Reviews for students applying for Practicum in the summer and fall
- March 4: Last day for graduate students to withdraw from a class with a WC
- March 5 - March 13: NCCU Spring Break
- March 14: Registration for the summer and fall semesters begins; CPCE testing window opens; Deadline for graduating students to clear grades of Incomplete: Field placement special request submissions due for summer placements
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.