Wrapping up another semester
Congratulations to our December 2022 graduates - and to all for finishing another semester!
I hope that you will all take some time to relax and recharge between semesters.
After the commencement ceremony on Saturday, December 10, most of the counseling faculty will be unavailable until close to the start of the spring semester on January 9, 2023. Should you need something during the break between semesters, please feel free to contact me.
Chad Royal, PhD, LCMHCS
Chair, Department of Counseling and Higher Education
Final Reminder - NBCC Foundation Fellowships and Scholarships
There are fellowships and scholarships offered by the National Board for Certified Counselors Foundation - and the deadline to apply is December 31, 2022. There is more information available on our website here:
2021-2022 Annual Report / Program Evaluation
Our annual report for 2021-2022 is now available HERE.
Classes resume on January 9, 2023. Don't forget that our textbook list is always posted on the website here:
Safe Zone/Trans Zone Virtual Training
Facilitated by the NCCU LGBTA Resource Center
Open to current students and faculty in the Counseling and Higher Education Department
SAVE THE DATE:
Friday, February 24, 2023
Registration will open on January 10, 2023 and close on February 20th
**All attendees will be given a certificate upon completion of the training
Safe Zone - Language surrounding the LGBTQ+ community consistently changes. This training begins with an introduction to the usage of pronouns, common terminology, and ways to be an effective ally to members of the LGBTQ+ community.
Trans Zone - Similar to Safe Zone, this training dives a little deeper into the specificities of terminology and topics related to trans-identified individuals.
4th Annual Career Institute
Friday, January 13, 2023
“Addressing Career Counseling and Employment Needs: Prioritizing The Physical, Mental, And Economic Health and Well-Being of People Living with HIV”
The North Carolina Central University Department of Counseling and Higher Education, Career Counseling Program in collaboration with the National Working Positive Coalition invite you to the 4th Annual Career Institute, entitled, “Addressing Career Counseling and Employment Needs: Prioritizing the Physical, Mental, and Economic Health and Well-being of People Living with HIV.” This event will be held on Friday, January 13, 2023 from 8:30 am – 1:00 pm.
This virtual event will bring together counseling professionals and students across the United States interested in career development, vocational rehabilitation, mental health and other counseling practices regarding employment needs of people living with HIV. Furthermore, participants will have an opportunity to network and learn about strengthening responses to this population. Presenters and panelists will include researchers, service providers, people living with HIV and other advocates for this focus on counseling at the intersection of HIV and employment needs.
The Keynote Speaker is Dr. Sharon Parker, who is an Interim Associate Dean of Research and Innovation, Associate Professor of Social Work Hairston College of Health and Human Sciences at North Carolina Agricultural & Technical State University. Dr. Parker engages in a multidisciplinary approach in the areas of both research and clinical practice. Dr. Parker has over 20 years of clinical and research experience working with adolescents and adults in mental health and criminal justice. She has served as a substance abuse consultant at a training school for adolescent boys with histories of substance abuse and conducted HIV interventions with women prisoners. Dr. Parker is engaged in biomedical research examining the use of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) with men who have sex with men (MSM) and heterosexual women to reduce the transmission of HIV among high-risk populations.
- We will have a panel of persons living with HIV/AIDS and other advocates who will discuss the intersection of HIV, mental health, and employment needs.
- Attendees will earn a certificate of up to 3 clock hours of continuing education credits for this half-day conference.
Multicultural Play Therapy Center Conference - UNC-Charlotte
Trauma-Informed Care through Child-Centered Play Therapy Workshops
January 20 & 21, 2023
Nu Chi Chi, NCCU's Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota, Social Hours will resume again in January. These events are open to all students and faculty in the counseling program. Remember, these events occur on the 4th Sunday of every month, from 7:00-8:00pm (ET).
If you're available – we'd love to see you. We've enjoyed spending time with you throughout the semester, and we hope these events have provided a fun way to engage and build community. We hope to see everyone Sunday!
Save The Dates! Future Social Hours will be held from 7:00-8:00pm (ET) on:
- No Event Held in December 2022 (Break)
- Sunday, January 22nd, 2023
- Sunday, February 27th, 2023
- Sunday, March 26th, 2023
Stay tuned for more information on upcoming events.
We hope to see you online in January!
Latest Announcements from nccuCounseling
- Research Participation Request - University of South Carolina 2022-12-16
- Lavni 2022-12-15
- Coastal Horizons is hiring 2022-12-12
- 2021-2022 Annual Report 2022-12-12
- Wrapping up another semester 2022-12-12
- 4th Annual Career Institute (January 13, 2023) 2022-12-08
- Trauma-Informed Care through Child-Centered Play Therapy Workshops - UNC-Charlotte 2022-12-08
- Safe Zone/Trans Zone: Virtual Training Opportunity 2022-12-07
- Volunteer Opportunity with Musical Empowerment 2022-12-07
- Research Participation Request - University of South Carolina 2022-12-06
- Aspire Integrative Wellness (Charlotte) - Practicum, Internship, Employment Opportunities 2022-12-05
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- January 3, 2023: University business resumes - all tuition and fees due
- January 6: NCE Application submission deadline
- January 8 @ 7pm: Online open house for prospective students
- January 9: First day of classes, spring semester
- January 13: 4th Annual Career Institute
- January 16: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Observance - no classes
- January 19 @ 10:40am: Popcorn Thursday
- January 20 at 3pm: Site Supervisor Orientation - online
- January 22 @ 7pm: Online open house for prospective students; CSI Social
- January 23: Late registration adjustment period (drop/add) concludes at 4pm
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.