Counseling Fellowships Available - NBCC Foundation
The NBCC Foundation is pleased to announce the application period for the 2024 National Board for Certified Counselors Minority Fellowship Program (NBCC MFP).
Ninety (90) doctoral- and master’s-level counseling fellowships are available for current counseling students.
Fellowship award amounts range from $10,000 to $20,000 and include fellowships in the following categories:
- Up to 20 doctoral fellowships for counselor education and supervision students
- Up to 30 master's fellowships for mental health counseling students
- Up to 40 master's fellowships for addictions counseling students
The MFP is made possible by a grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and is administered by the NBCC Foundation. The MFP for addictions counseling fellowships are administered by the NBCC Foundation in collaboration with NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals.
(New) Application Deadline: OCTOBER 21
Nu Chi Chi, NCCU's Chapter of Chi Sigma Iota (Counseling Honor Society), would like to welcome everyone to the Fall 2023 semester. You may recall that over the prior academic year, Nu Chi Chi hosted monthly virtual social hours for the counseling program. The chapter plans to continue these events throughout the Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters. These events will continue to occur on the 4th Sunday of every month, from 7:00-8:00pm (ET). These events are open to all students and faculty and provide a space for us to get to know & support each other while building community. If you're available – we'd love to see you. Pop in and say hello!
Upcoming Social Hours (Virtual):
Sunday, October 22nd
Sunday, November 26th
- NO SOCIAL HOUR IN DECEMBER (Break)
Link to Join: https://nccu-edu.zoom.us/j/84306263781
Upcoming Social Hours for the Fall 2023 semester will occur from 7-8pm (ET).
Stay tuned for more information on upcoming events.
Registration for Spring Courses
Registration for Spring courses begins today, October 11 (the day we return from Fall Break). If you have not already scheduled a time to meet with your advisor, please do so ASAP.
Please register as soon as you are able to do so. Some classes fill quickly.
Our goal is to help you move through the program at a steady rate, but it may not always be at the pace in which you thought you could go. Some classes may fill early, and you may need to adjust your schedule a bit. Some classes may be offered in a mode (online or on-campus) in which you can not take during a given semester, so you may need to adjust your plan/schedule with your advisor and take it the next time it is offered in your needed mode.
Keep in mind that any plan you develop with your advisor is always subject to change based on course availability.
Please note a few things:
- There is no guarantee that the courses will be offered every year as listed. You should re-visit your plan with your advisor every semester as schedules are released and advising takes place.
- Campus students should take on-campus courses when offered. Online students can not take on-campus courses. The sequencing of how and when courses are offered will impact how you progress through the program. You will want to pay very close attention to the sequencing. You will possibly need to revise your current plan of study.
- Some classes are only offered online. Please refer to the course sequencing document found on the student website.
Spring Semester, 2024 - Classes begin January 8, 2024
- CON 5351: Principles and Procedures of Group Counseling (Tuesdays at 4pm) There is also a mandatory residency (Feb. 27-29)
- CON 5361: Assessment, Evaluation, and Analysis in Counseling (Tuesdays at 4pm)
- CON 5371: Pre-practicum in Counseling (Wednesdays at 4pm)
- CON 5372: Supervised Practicum (Tuesdays at 5pm - there will be an additional one hour meeting each week)
- CON 5390: Internship in Counseling (Wednesdays at 5pm)
Online - synchronous
- CON 5351: Principles and Procedures of Group Counseling (Thursdays at 4, Thursdays at 7, and two sections of Tuesdays at 4 - four sections total)
- CON 5371: Pre-practicum in Counseling (Thursdays at 5pm)
- CON 5372: Supervised Practicum (2 sections, Tuesdays at 5pm)
- CON 5390: Internship in Counseling (4 sections, Wednesdays at 5pm)
- EDGR 5920: Procedures in Educational Research (Mondays at 4pm)
Online - asynchronous
- CON 5201: Ethical and Professional Orientation to Counseling
- CON 5304: Advanced School Counseling (mandatory orientation meeting on Jan. 11 at 7pm)
- CON 5306: Introduction to Addictions Counseling
- CON 5307: Crisis, Trauma, and Grief Counseling
- CON 5308: Counseling Children and Adolescents
- CON 5320: Vocational Theory and Career Development (2 sections)
- CON 5326: Contemporary Issues in Addiction
- CON 5328: Family Counseling and Addictions
- CON 5331: Psychosocial Development and Behavioral Dynamics
- CON 5350: Clinical Interventions in Events of Crisis
- CON 5360: Multicultural and Gender Issues in Counseling (3 sections; Kurian's section has a mandatory orientation on January 8 at 7pm)
- CON 5361: Assessment, Analysis, and Evaluation in Counseling
- CON 5362: Diagnosis, Assessment, and Psychopathology
- CON 5373: Consultative/Referral Process in Counseling
- CON 5381: Intro to Clinical Mental Health Counseling
For other EDGR course offerings (5910 and 5920), please check Banner. There will likely be additional sections of 5910 and 5920.
Latest Announcements from nccuCounseling
- Spring Schedule - 2024 2023-10-05
- Clinical Position at Red Oak Recovery 2023-10-02
- Research Participation Request - University of Arizona 2023-09-27
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- October 11: Registration for the Spring semester begins
- October 11-15: ACES conference - Denver, CO
- October 13: Deadline for graduating students to clear grades of "I"; fall NCE testing window opens (Oct. 13 - Nov. 25)
- October 14-15: LCCNC Annual Conference
- October 17: School of Education Faculty Meeting
- October 18-20: Group Residency (CON 5351)
- October 22: Next Student Social
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.