Student Newsletter and Reminders
2020 Spring Career Institute - HAPPENING THIS FRIDAY! REGISTER NOW!
The North Carolina Central University Counselor Education Program invites you to the 2020 Spring Career Institute, titled, “Career Interventions to Empower Individuals with Health Concerns, Disabilities, and Other Career Issues.” This event will be held on Friday, January 24, 2020 from 8:30 am – 12:00 noon and will bring professionals from around the state interested in career, mental health, and rehabilitation development together to learn and network.
- Dr. David R. Strauser (Professor, University of Illinois) will present on career interventions for persons with disabilities.
- Dr. Stephen Leierer (Associate Professor, East Carolina University) will present on the Career Strait Inventory.
- Dr. Harold G. Koenig, M.D. (Professor of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, Associate Professor of Medicine, Director, Center for Spirituality, Theology & Health, Duke University) will present on careers in healthcare: integrating spirituality into patient care sessions
Registration information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2020-spring-career-institute-tickets-84601251621
Clinical Supervision in a 21st-Century World - February 11, 2020 at 1pm
Dr. Chadwick Royal
This session is for clinical supervisors of counseling students and post-graduate clinicians. We will review supervision methods, modalities, and approaches appropriate to today's clinician.
Students can attend all webinars for free; registration is required.
CPCE and NCE TEST-TAKING STRATEGIES WORKSHOP - ON CAMPUS
Drs. Levette Scott and Kelly King
Friday, February 7, 2020: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
North Carolina Central University, School of Education, Room 1076
The purpose of this workshop is to assist students and non-students with the strategies and skills necessary to take the NCE and CPCE Examinations. Topics include managing test-taking anxiety, personalizing a study plan, and practicing multiple study strategies (e.g., mnemonic devices, flash cards). This workshop is meant to supplement other studying on core content that you have been doing. While we will cover exam content throughout the day, it will not be our sole or primary focus. Please sign up by Friday January 31, 2020.
Do you plan to graduate in the Summer or Fall of 2020?
If so, you need to submit your Admission to Candidacy Form this semester - by February 7th. The form can be found on our website and should be submitted to your adviser by 5pm.
Do you plan on taking Practicum either this Summer or next Fall?
If so, you will need to complete your Mid-program Review this semester. Find out more on our website here.
Registration for the Summer and Fall
Yes, we did just start the Spring semester, but it is not too early to begin planning for the future. Have you noticed how full classes are this Spring?
Registration for the Summer AND Fall will begin on March 16. Don't delay registering, classes may fill early. Schedule a time to meet with your adviser BEFORE registration begins, so that you can be ready to register once registration opens.
Upcoming Dates to Remember for Counselor Education Students:
- Jan. 20: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Observance - No classes; Deadline to upload Foliotek documents from the Fall 2019 semester
- Jan. 21: Counselor Ed. Praxis Preparation Workshop
- Jan. 24: Spring Career Institute
- Feb. 7: CPCE/NCE On-campus Test-taking Strategies Workshop
- Feb. 7: Admission to Candidacy form is due to your adviser - for those who intend to graduate in the Summer or Fall of 2020
- Feb. 11: February Webinar
- Feb. 14: Last day to withdraw from the university with a prorated tuition and fee adjustment
- Feb. 24-25: Mid-program Portfolio Review for students applying for Practicum in the Summer or Fall.
- March 4: Last day for graduate students to withdraw from a class.
- March 16: Summer and Fall registration begins
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.