Title: Navigating the Licensure Process
Presenters: Kyla Kurian,Ph.D., LCMHC & Levette Scott, Ph.D., NCC, LCMHCA
Description: In this session, we will discuss the process and procedures of becoming licensed as a Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor-Associate and eventually Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor. This session will focus on discussing the National Counseling Examination (NCE) and the National Clinical Mental Health Exam (NCMHCE), the application process, the jurisprudence exam, the licensure affidavit, the disclosure statement, the supervision contract, reciprocity, and the Counseling Compact. We will have a conversation about this process, the dos, and don’ts of this process.
April 5, 2022 at 1:00pm EDT
Labor Market Information = Job Opportunities
When we receive job postings or announcements, they are posted our website for three months. Please feel free to visit this page often before and after you graduate.
We posted the following announcements in the month of March:
|LMV Counseling (Wilmington, NC) is hiring||15 March 2022|
|Freedom House is Hiring||07 March 2022|
Registration for both the summer and fall semesters started March 14.
Please attempt to register as soon as you are able to do so.
As usual, some classes are restricted. Students are not permitted to self-register for CON 5351 (Group), CON 5371 (Pre-practicum), CON 5372 (Practicum), or CON 5390 (Internship). You will need your advisor to complete an override form for those classes.
Would you like to receive text reminders and announcements from the Program?
Join our "Remind" group:
- Text "@nccuco" to 81010, or
- click on https://www.remind.com/join/nccuco
Did you know we also have our own app? Click on THIS LINK in your mobile device or tablet. Select "Add to Home Screen"
Do you intend on graduating this May or summer*?
You will need to complete your Final Defense, scheduled for April 11 through April 14.
*Final defenses are not scheduled over the summer, so if your intention is to graduate this summer, you will need to complete your defense this spring semester.
Find out more and sign up for a time here:
Student Liability Coverage in Practicum and Internship
We have a change in the requirement for professional liability coverage while in Practicum and Internship. Starting this summer, 2022, students will no longer purchase a blanket policy through the University.
Students will need to join either ACA, ASCA, or AMHCA and receive liability coverage through the organization (which should come with membership). Students will need to submit a “Certificate of Insurance” (COI) when they submit their Memorandum of Agreement (MOA).
When you join one of the above organization, be sure to either download or request a copy of your COI. It is only one of many benefits in joining a professional organization.
- American Counseling Association
- American School Counseling Association
- American Mental Health Counseling Association
Pursuing a Second Degree
For students who are graduating Spring 2022 or later, you MUST complete a minimum of 18 semester hours above and beyond your original plan of study in order to receive a second degree from NCCU. There are very specific courses that must be completed to receive a second degree and these are specified on this page: http://www.nccucounseling.com/student2/index.php/advising/dual-major
If you are pursuing two degrees, make sure that you have completed the new form that ensures the University is aware of your intention to pursue two degrees at the same time. This form is new as of fall 2021. It can be found in the forms area of the student website ("Adding a Second Major").
This form is completed and sent to your advisor for processing. Once the form has been processed, you should see both degree programs on your transcript in BANNER.
Please note that your second internship must consist of a 600-hour placement. In other words, students receiving a second degree will complete a second 600-hour internship placement (600 hours for their first major, 600 hours for their second major).
Please speak with your advisor if you have any questions.
Latest Announcements from nccuCounseling
- Research Participation Request - Dr. Levette Scott 2022-03-25
- Job Fair - Johnston County Public Schools 2022-03-25
- Equity-based Career Development Webinar Series from San Diego State University 2022-03-23
- Behavioral Health Ambassador Program, HBCU C.A.R.E.S. 2022-03-21
- LMV Counseling (Wilmington, NC) is hiring 2022-03-15
- Student Newsletter - March 14, 2022 2022-03-14
- Freedom House is Hiring 2022-03-07
- Dr. Levette Scott Selected as an Emerging Leader for the NC School Counseling Association Board of Directors 2022-03-03
- A Change in the Requirements for Professional Liability Coverage when taking Practicum and Internship 2022-03-02
- Student Newsletter - February 28, 2022 2022-02-28
Upcoming Dates to Remember for nccuCounseling:
- March 30 - April 1: Group Residency
- April 1: CSI Induction Ceremony
- April 5: nccuCounseling Webinar
- April 7-9: American Counseling Association Annual Conference
- April 8: MOAs due for summer placement; NCCU Honors Convocation
- April 11-14: Final defenses for spring and summer graduates
- April 25: Last day of classes for graduating students, last day of class lecture for non-graduating students
- April 26: Reading Day
- May 4: Last day of classes for all students
- May 7: Graduate Commencement Ceremony
Did you know that you can subscribe to the nccuCounseling calendar? If you use a digital calendar, you can subscribe and have all of the information from the "Key Dates" letter auto-populate in your calendar. Visit our website for more information.