We have a number of different volunteering opportunities (individual and in pairs volunteering!) here at the Compass Center. I have included a list of brief descriptions below. If folks are interested, the best next step would be to fill out our online volunteer application here. (This is also found on the Compass Center's Website. It helps the volunteer manager keep track of all of our wonderful volunteers!).
Just some of the volunteering opportunities:
- Domestic Violence Hotline Advocates - work directly with survivors in-person and over the phone on our 24-hour hotline providing crisis intervention, emotional support, shelter placement, and community referrals.
- Community Educators (CEs) - the face of Compass Center and play an integral role in Compass Center’s success in preventive work. Community educators give presentations that educate the community about domestic violence and Compass Center services, and while staffing tabling events and speaking to potential donors about the impact that their donations can have on our client services.
- Spanish Interpreter/Translators - Interpret with clients over the hotline and in-person, and/or translate written materials including educational information and court-related documents.
- Information & Referral Volunteers - the first point of contact for individuals who call or come to our office; I&R volunteers welcome clients, assess their needs and goals, and connect them to Compass Center services and community resources.
- Childcare Volunteers - provide childcare for Compass Center clients while they attend our support groups and workshops.
- Community Awareness Volunteers - These volunteers help spread the word about Compass Center services, events, and training. At the beginning of each month, volunteers pick up flyers at Compass Center to distribute to designated locations in the Orange County community. This requires a 2-hour per month commitment.
- Career Counseling - work directly with clients in-person to help tackle issues related to career including job search, decision making, resumes, mock interviews, and everything in-between.
- Financial Counseling- work directly with clients in-person to help provide information about: debt divorce, budgeting, savings, and investing.
- and many more!